From the Farm Fresh RI website:
Rhode Island not only has many wonderful farmers, but we Rhode Islanders also have a wealth of homegrown knowledge about how to turn fresh foods into jarred and prepared delights! We've survived winters in New England for more than a few years. From raspberry jams to Johnny cakes, from peach pie to pesto, local talent needs to be exposed – and this November it's the picklers' turn to shine. We hope the pickle contest will not only inspire non-picklers to try pickling—but it will also promote the wealth of good food that grows in Rhode Island. Plus, a great way to start off the winter season is with a zesty taste of the bountiful autumn.
How to Enter:
- Register by October 31 with your name, category, and what veggies will be local in your entry.
- Let us know which farm grew your veggies if you can (or if they're from your own backyard).
- Everyone – chefs, schools, home cooks, gardeners, market-goers and more – is encouraged to enter.
- First time picklers encouraged!
Judging Location and Time:
- Opening day of the Wintertime Farmers' Market - Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 12pm at Hope Artiste Village in Pawtucket.
- Six expert pickle tasters will work to decide which pickle is best. Winners will receive a unique, handcrafted basket of local goodies as well as the honor of being Rhode Island's Perfect Pickler. There is one track for Chefs and another track for Home-batch.
- By 1pm we will know the finest pickle makers in all the (Rhode Is)land.
- Best of luck!